June 25th, 2017 (Mark 9: 1-13)
- What does Mark 9:1 tell us about the time table for the coming of the Kingdom?
- What is the significance of Elijah and Moses appearing at the Transfiguration? Why not other great biblical leaders of the past like David, Abraham, or Isaiah?
- What do you think Jesus’ overall purpose was with the Transfiguration?
- Why do you think Jesus didn’t want His disciples to tell others what they had seen on the mountain?
- What is the significance in the conversation of Elijah having already come?
July 2nd, 2017 (Mark 9: 14-29)
- Why were the disciples not able to cast out this spirit?
- Was it reasonable (in light of verse 29) for Jesus to expect them to be able to cast out the spirit?
- Could someone perform a miracle like this today (healing of demon possession/casting out spirit) if they prayed enough? Why or why not?
- What did the father mean when he said, “I believe! Help my unbelief?”
- Is it possible for us to have that father’s spiritual condition? How do we know when we do?
July 9th, 2017 (Mark 9: 30-37)
- Why do you think Jesus didn’t want the people to know where He was for the specific reason given—that He was “…teaching His disciples…”? (Vs. 31) Is this significant?
- Why do you think Jesus’ disciples didn’t understand what He said about His death?
- Why were they “afraid to ask Him about it…”? (Vs. 32)
- How can one who is “first” (that is, a prominent leader) be the servant of all?
- What do you think Jesus meant by His example of children? (Vs. 37)
- Does this mean it is wrong to be ambitious in the church?
July 16th, 2017 (Mark 9: 38-50)
- Based on this story, is everyone who does “good work” in the name of Jesus a true follower of Jesus?
- Based on this story, is every religious person automatically accepted by Jesus, as long as the person does not denounce Jesus?
- By what power was the man casting out demons if he was not a disciple?
- Who gets to decide who true followers of Jesus are?
- Who do you think the “little ones” are? (Vs. 42)
- Why is the punishment so severe for harming these little ones?
- How do we know when we’ve actually caused someone to “sin” (Vs. 42) rather than just challenging them or upsetting them?
- How do we “cut-off” or “remove” what causes us to sin? Is this literal amputation?
July 23rd, 2017 (Mark 10:1-16)
- What “test” were the Pharisees giving Jesus about divorce?
- Why did Jesus ask them what Moses said about divorce?
- Was Jesus saying the hardness of their hearts invalidated Moses’ instructions?
- Why did Jesus go back to the beginning to answer their question?
- Does Jesus say there are reasons for divorce beyond adultery?
- Once again, why does the Kingdom belong to child-like people?
July 30th, 2017—Combined Class w/Kyle Lamb of FHU
August 6th, 2017 (Mark 10:17-31)
- If Jesus is God, and if no one is “good” but God alone, why did Jesus ask the man, “Why do you call me good?” (Vs. 18)
- Why wasn’t the rich young ruler “good enough” to receive eternal life? Is anyone?
- Do you think Jesus really meant a rich man going to heaven was as difficult as a real camel doing in a real needle? Why or why not?
- What is the spiritual problem of being materially “wealthy” (as most Americans are)?
- How do we know when we’ve truly left “everything” for the Lord? (Vs. 29-30) Do we ever truly reach this level of spiritual maturity?